Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday October 22, 2010

Today we went to see our plastic surgeon, Dr. Strock for another fill. Of all my doctors, he is the one that appreciates keeping an appointment. We are always in and out in 15-20 minutes. We hate paying for the parking garage, but we appreciate him keeping his appointments!

This time when he went to numb me, I felt it! I'm sure I'll get my feeling back right before my next surgery... oh well. He filled my left side with 85cc's and put 60cc's in the right side.

So total now is left 190cc's and right is 310cc's. Sounds like a huge difference but it doesn't look very different.

Next off to chemo. This was our first Taxol appointment. Thank you GOD no more Adriamycin or Cytoxin, that stuff is EVIL!

Anyway, went in to get my blood drawn. I didn't get the phlebotomist I like (and who is VERY good) but I didn't say anything. The lady that I did get tried to find my vein. She must have barely been in there because my blood was taking forever to fill those vials! After I finally filled 4 of them, barely, off to see the Dr. I went.

Only had to wait 10 minutes to see the doctor which was a very pleasant surprise! The P.A. comes in and tells me she has some good news, but it comes with some no-so good news, not bad news.

She tells me that the protocol for Taxol has changed and they are now recommending me to receive Taxol every other week x4 instead of weekly x12. YEAH!
Since I will be receiving more Taxol each time so I really need to watch my symptoms.
Now for the not-so good news. I will have to get a Neulasta shot the Monday following chemo and I will have to have my blood drawn on the off chemo Fridays. I'll take that! The Neulasta shot hurts like a tetanus shot, but I'll take that over chemo any day!
So, if everything goes according to plan, I should be done with chemo the first part of December! Thank you God!

So off to receive my first dose of Taxol. When Nurse Ratched, in mean Janet, called me back, she said she needed 4 more vials of blood. Something happened to the machine she said. She used my port and off they went. Labs were good!
Prior to Taxol comes a Benadryl/Zantac drip. This almost knocked me out! It is used in case of allergies. Since this was my first Taxol, she set the Taxol to dispense over 3 hours... what a LONG wait... Good thing I had Jamey and Luwana to keep me company. Plus I did catch a little cat nap.

Now, on to a prayer request
Jamey's cousin Tiffany's 3 year old daughter Haley, has been diagnosed with leukemia this week. Please pray for Chris, Tiffany and Haley as they go through this difficult journey, along with their parents and all other family members. The journey will be long and challenging and I pray that God leads them in the direction they are intended and when they are in doubt, they trust in the Lord and not turn away from Him.

My journey is a breeze compared to what Haley and her parents are about to endure and I ask everyone to please pray for them.

Love to all,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment