Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesday October 5, 2010

Today we went to UT Southwestern for genetic testing, and also went to see the Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Strock, for my first fill appointment. Here's what happened...

I have a 0.9% chance of having the positive BRCA1 or BRCA2 genetic gene. That's good. If I am BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive, two things will happen. One, I will have to have my ovaries removed before I'm 40 and two, my sisters and my daughter will have a 50/50 chance of also having the positive genetic gene. If my test is negative, we won't know why I got cancer, but I haven't asked why yet so that's ok.

We talked about my family tree. She agrees with Dr. Nugent that my family tree is "dull". My family has been called many things, but NEVER dull! The more cancer in your tree, and the more diagnoses at an early age, will make your chances of a positive genetic test, higher. So dull is good! :) They drew 2 tubes of blood, which they will send to Utah, and I'll have my results in 2-3 weeks.

After Jamey and I got a bite to eat, we went to Dr. Strock's office. I have been SO nervous about this appointment. The not knowing how I was going to get filled, was just giving me nightmares. Well let me tell you, it didn't hurt at all!

First he marked the ports in my expanders. My expanders have a metal port in them and Dr. Strock uses a magnet to find them. Next he gave me a little numbing medicine, which I didn't need because I still don't have any feeling there. Then he inserted a little butterfly needle into the port and pushed the saline. He put 100cc's in my right and 105cc's in my left. I can definitely tell a difference.

I was told I would be sore, take Motrin and don't do any heavy lifting for 2 days.
He said he will put approximately 100cc's in every 2-3 weeks. My next appointment is Oct 22.

I feel like I'm leaving something out, so if I think of something else, I'll post again.

My next appointment is Thursday for my last round of Adriamycin and Cytoxin. YAY! I have to wait 2 weeks and then I'll start my 12 consecutive weeks of Taxol. If my schedule doesn't get delayed (pray no sickness or infection) I'll be done with chemo Friday January 7, 2011. Let the countdown begin!

Love to all,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment