Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday July 23, 2010

Jamey and I went to see the plastic surgeon, Dr. Louis Strock in Fort Worth today. We left 2 hours before our appointment, due to construction on I-20, and we were still 15 minutes late. Very frustrating! Dr. Strock must not have noticed because he didn't say anything and the front office staff was VERY nice about it when I called to say we'd be late.

First thing Dr. Strock said was he only does breast reconstruction surgeries with Dr. Bussey. He said she knows what she is doing and that makes his job a lot easier! Good to know. :-)

After yet another physician seeing my boobs, he answered ALL our questions!
- I will need constant care for 2 weeks (sorry Jamey).
- I will not be able to do housework i.e., laundry, vacuum, sweep, etc. for a total of 4 weeks (sorry Jamey :-)
- I will be off work for 6 weeks. He might be pursuaded into 4 weeks depending on my recovery.
- His part of the surgery on Wednesday will be approximately an hour each side. So my total surgery time for Wednesday is 4 - 4 1/2 hours.
- I will have to sleep sitting up for 3 days and keep my elbows at my side for 2 weeks. No laptop :'(

Dr. Strock will reconstuct my breasts to fit my chest wall. In other words, he won't put in gigantic breasts or teeny tiny ones either. He will listen to my "absolute nots" on Wednesday morning (like no bigger than...)

He will fill the expanders as much as he can during surgery, after that we will have to go to his office every so often to get them filled. Once I reach my size, and am done with chemo, I will have another surgery to remove the expanders and insert "the new girls".

Gross news was, I won't be able to shower for 9 days! OMGosh!!! Ewwwww
Oh well, I won't be doing anything during those 9 days so it should be ok. And I'll probably be too scared or sore to shower anyway! So if no one comes over, I understand!

He gave us our post-surgery homecare instructions, gave me 5 different prescriptions (to have ready after surgery), scheduled our follow-up appointment and said he'd see us on Wednesday.

I can't believe this is the weekend before! Guess I should do what little housework I can... for now!

Love to all!
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment