Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thursday July 8, 2010

Woo Hoo! Today was a great day!
We went to see Dr. Nugent, the oncologist, today and we like him. I was worried I wouldn't, and then either have to find another one, or stick with this one for the next 5+ years. So I'm happy!

After taking my family history, which he said was "dull", he did an exam and then came back in and talked to us. I will need chemotherapy, but not before surgery. He said the size of my tumor is 1.3 cm, which isn't large but it isn't small. The Stage of cancer is usually determined after the tumor is removed, but when I asked him what Stage he thought I was, he said Stage I. AWESOME!!!

He discussed the radiation/chemotherapy regimens with both breast conservation (lumpectomy) and mastectomy. Although I can be a candidate for breast conservation, at 34, it would leave my breast "unappealing" without a shirt on. Now I know the #1 objective is to be cancer free, but I'm only 34! Also, anyone who really knows me, knows I already want a breast deduction, so I don't want them to do breast conservation and make it this big again :).

After he realized where our decision was heading, double mastectomy, he agreed. With lobular cancer, it's not only harder to detect, there is a 10% chance that it will go bilateral. While 10% isn't high, it's high enough for me! Again, remember, #1 goal is to be cancer free, in BOTH breasts!

With a double mastectomy, he doesn't believe I will need radiation, only chemotherapy. The duration of chemo and the "cocktail" will be determined by the tumor DNA and other medical scientific stuff. What should I expect? Chemo sessions every 3 weeks for 4-6 months to start 2-3 weeks after surgery.

My next question was will immediate reconstruction interfere with chemotherapy. He assured me it wouldn't and he also agreed with that decision. Immediate reconstruction means when they remove both breasts, they will also remove some/most of my skin, then sew up the rest. They will insert expanders under the skin and then gradually (over time) fill it until it becomes the size I want. Once chemo is over, I would have another surgery to remove the expanders and get my new boobs!

I will also need to see a Genetic Counselor after everything is over. I will have blood drawn and go through my "dull" family tree for the sake of Morgan, my sisters, and my Mom.

Long story short, if you are going to have breast surgery, I guess I have the best kind! *big smile!*

Dr. Nugent will contact Dr. Bussey, the surgeon, and touch base with her, let her know which direction we are headed, and send her all paperwork for my surgery consult on Monday. Until then, that is all I know.

Thank you to Aunt Stacy for scheduling all my consultation appointments so quickly! You are the BEST!

Thank you to my sister Michelle for going with us today and helping me during the family history part, even though you almost listed off your "known drug allergies"!

Happy 15th Anniversary to Jason and Kelli and Happy Birthday to Terri!

Love to all,
Christy

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear the appointment went well and the Chemo treatment is wonderful news. Thanks for the bday wishes. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did go great didn't it? 2 hours went by fast talking and laughing with you two. Thanks again for letting me be there, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such good news -- thank God!
    And thanks for thinking of us. No wonder I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete